Sunday, August 12, 2012

Beginning to Laugh






"Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." Matthew 18:5-7


There are no words for these pictures.  Just tears of joy.  You see, since we have been here, we walk through the community every Tuesday.  The first Tuesday, we noticed this girl. She is 13 years old.  Other children in the family are in school.  But not this one.  She is caring for her younger siblings who are also not in school.  There are so many children.  The look on her face is like death.  Hopeless.  Dressed in rags. Caring for the children. 

She gets our attention.  This look of despair.  We cannot stop thinking about her.  We ask about school.  There are so many who need to be sponsored.  But this hopelessness.  God does not let us forget.

You see, here in this culture, if a girl is not in school, she will more than likely be married off and have a baby by the time she is 15 years old.  This one is dangerously close. 

I think of my own life.  Hopeless. Helpless. Dressed in filthy rags.  Full of despair and darkness.  Sin.  And Jesus came.  He gave it all.  Saved me from hell.  Took my life and gave me His.  Abundant life.  Pure Joy.  He paid the price for my soul.  For hers.  For yours.

We call for her and her 9 year old sister. They come with their mom.  We interview them. Take their photos.  They will go to school this next term.   We find out they are Muslim.  They don't know Jesus. Yet.  Hopeless and helpless.  Their father is not living with them, he has many wives. "He is not interested" I was told.  This mom is caring for 8 children on her own.  Darkness all around.  But they have a Father who is interested.  One who gave His life so they could know this love. Jesus.

So every day since then, they come.  Dressed up and with smiles so wide.  They come to play.  They come to find us.  This one is a child again.  I wish you could see her joy.  Her mom's joy.  Her mom stopped to play jump-rope with me last night.  We laughed and played.  Like children. There is joy.  She hugged me tight when she left.  I see love.

So we pray for their family.  We pray for their souls.  There is hope in a Savior that loves the unlovable.  He alone is the One that saves.  We will give Him all the glory. 

UPDATE:  I typed this yesterday and the internet went out before I could send it.  Today this one came to church to praise the Lord with His children.  "For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does."  Psalm 33   HE IS FAITHFUL.  We continue to praise His Holy Name.

(they are the ones dressed in black)

So humbled by His grace and love,
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment